Scrap Buster Blocks is a series of scrap quilt block tutorials that are designed to bust through your scraps with the AccuQuilt GO! QUBE Mix & Match block sets. Grab your scrap buckets/tubs/drawers, and let’s make some scrappy quilt blocks!
To finish out the year, I’m sharing three quilt blocks that will combine to make a fun Valentine’s Day table runner. Unlike the previous Scrap Buster Blocks I’ve shared, these blocks finish at 100% Qube size.
These instructions for this O Hug quilt block project are written a little differently to normal so that you can use whatever scraps you might have, regardless of the size of the piece of fabric – if it covers the die you need, even if it’s just one small square or half-square triangle, you’re good to go. This is why the cutting instructions tell you how many you need from each die in total.
Materials Needed for the O Hug Quilt BLock:
- AccuQuilt GO! Big, GO! Cutter or GO! Baby Cutter Fabric Starter Set
- AQ55776 GO! QUBE Mix & Match – 8” Block set:
- Shape 5 Half Square Triangle – 2” Finished
- Shape 6 Square on Point – 2 ¾” Finished
- Shape 8 Rectangle – 2” x 4” Finished
- AQ55137 GO! Cutting Mat 6″ x 6″
- Assorted prints and background fabrics
From print fabrics:
- Using Shape 5, cut eight Half Square Triangles (HST)
- Using Shape 8, cut four Rectangles
From background fabrics:
- Using Shape 5, cut four Half Square Triangles (HST)
- Using Shape 6, cut one Square
NOTE: All seams are ¼“, (6mm). Press the seams open unless otherwise specified
- Sew a print HST (Shape 5) to each side of the background square (Shape 6). Press the seams open.
- Pair the remaining print HSTs (Shape 5) and the background HSTs (Shape 5). Sew together and press seams open. Make four HSTs.
- Arrange the units to create the block layout, and sew into rows. Press seams open.
- Sew the rows together. Press seams open.
We can’t wait to see your Finished quilt blocks and quilts! Feel free to share them with us on Instagram, tagging @blossomheartquilts and @accuquilt_australia, and using the hashtags #BlossomHeartQuilts and #ScrapBusterBlocks.