I have always loved all the different AccuQuilt flower dies and wanted to make a scene which is pleasant to the eye. Like the flowers it represents, Take Time to Smell the Flower, just grew from there, with a mind of its own.
By Karen Crouch from Zig Zag Sewing in Georgetown
- AccuQuilt GO! Big, GO! or GO! Baby Cutter
- AQ55061 GO! Sunbonnet Sue
- AQ55062 GO! Overall Sam
- AQ55372 GO! Kay’s Bouquet by Laura Wasilowski
- AQ55332 GO! Flower Bunch
- AQ55007 GO! Round Flower
- AQ55379 GO! Home by Stacy Mitchell
- AQ55331 GO! Stems and Leaves
- AQ55334 GO! Fun Flowers
- AQ55056 GO! Rick Rack
- AQ55064 GO! Gingham Dog
- AQ55328 GO! Tulip
- AQ55327 GO! Daisy
- AQ55331 GO! Stems and Leaves
- AQ55110 GO! Cutting Mat 5” x 10”
- AQ55112 GO! Cutting Mat 6” x 12”
- AQ55137 GO! Cutting Mat 6” x 6”
- AQ55138 GO! Cutting Mat 6” x 24”
- 30cm of STOF Quilters Shadow blue 600
- 35cm of green 100% cotton fabric for hills
- 45cm of green 100% cotton fabric for grass
- 45cm of 100% cotton cobble stone fabric
- 20cm of grey 100% cotton fabric for the road
- 100% cotton fabric for backing of your choice at least 25cm bigger than wall hanging approx. 11/2 metres.Selection of 100% cotton fat quarters for Sunbonnet Sue, Overall Sam, road, flowers, windmill and dogs
- Fusible webbing – I prefer Applique Wonder
- Wadding 100cm x 150cm
- 15cm of binding fabric - optional if you choose not to self-bind the project.
- Apply the fusible webbing to the fabrics for the hills, grass, cobblestones, houses, people, road, flowers, dogs and windmills
- Cut the hills and lay on the blue material. Press in place, blanket stitch down.
- Cut the grass, press in place and blanket stitch down.
- Cut the cobblestone fabric, press in place and blanket stitch it down.
- I used raw edge applique from here but if you wanted you could also blanket stitch. Use the attached picture as a guide for the placements
- Using the GO! Rick Rack die, AQ55056, cut the road and iron in place.
- Cut a selection of flowers from all the flower dies in different colorways.
- Using GO! Kay’s Bouquet die, AQ55372, and fabric for the windmill cut the windmill fans out.
- Cut 3 strips 1/2” wide for the legs of the windmill, iron in place.
- Cut Sunbonnet Sue die, AQ55061 and Overall Sam die, AQ55062, out and iron them on the design.
- Cut out the trees in 2 different greens cut the base of the trees out and iron them in place over the hills.
- Using the GO! Home die, AQ55379, I cut out 2 houses in different colours and placed them on different hills and had a road running up to each.
- Place and applique your 2 dogs
- Fill the completed area with flowers and iron down. Make sure everything is securely place down.
- Place wadding behind your top and begin stitching.
- Once the appliques are ironed down, stitch the design in layers. So, by that I mean, look at it 3 dimensionally, and stitch from the ‘back’ first. I.e. stitch the base of the trees down and then stitch the tops of the trees’.
- With the flowers, stitch the stems first, followed by the flowers and then the centres.
- I used raw edge applique to fix all the flowers and trees but if you have the time you could use a small blanket stitch.
- The design came out to be 75cm x 125cm.
- Place backing and wadding under quilt top. Quilt if desired.
- With this project I have used the self-binding method, of which you can find instruction on the internet, otherwise bind your quilt as per step 7.
- Trim your finished top evenly and bind.
Congratulations on finishing your Take Time to Smell the Flowers Pattern!