With Christmas just around the corner, I wanted to design a project perfect to do with kids!
There is no sewing required in this decoration! Woodland Wonderland adds a festive vibe to any room and what’s best, you can make co-ordinating Christmas tree decorations with your favourite fabrics! Three different snowflakes sparkle in this decoration, so it is sure to be a hit with Frozen fans too!
- AccuQuilt GO! Baby, GO! Cutter or GO! Big
- AQ55322 GO! Sleigh & Snowflakes
- AQ55043 GO! Holiday Medley
- AQ55115 GO! Cutting Mat- 6 x 6
- 12cm / 5” strips (WOF) of your 7x favourite Christmas fabrics
- 50cm / 20” heavy iron on stabiliser
- 50cm / 20” fusible web
- 5m / 98” narrow white satin ribbon
- 16cm / 9 ½” Metal hoop wrapped in your choice of ribbon
- 45 x 10mm Jump rings
- 30 × 5mm Ribbon clamps
- 5cm / 1” ring
- Leather hole punch tool
- Before cutting out the shapes for this decoration, it is necessary to fuse the fabric, stabiliser and fusible web together, to create a “sandwich”.
- Firstly, lay out one strip of Christmas fabric and cut a piece of heavy iron on stabiliser to fit half the width of the fabric strip. Iron onto the wrong side of the fabric.
- Cut a piece of fusible web, the same size as the stabiliser and iron on top of the stabiliser. Allow to cool and then remove the paper backing.
- Fold back the other half of the Christmas fabric to cover the stabiliser and fusible web (refer to diagram below). Iron all layers together and repeat for the other 6 fabric strips.
- Using the leather hole punch tool, push a hole through the top and bottom of your shapes, leaving approximately ¼” from the edge of the fabric. Note: Select 6 shapes which will hang at the bottom of each row of your decoration and only punch one hole at the top of each shape.
- Open up the jump rings and thread one through each of the holes you created in the fabric shapes.
- Attach three snowflakes evenly around your covered metal hoop, close jump rings.
- Cut 15 lengths of ribbon, varying from 3” – 6” and attach a ribbon clamp to each end.
- Attach 3 jump rings between the snowflakes around the metal hoop. Thread a piece of ribbon onto the 3 jump rings and close them. You will now have 6 drops in total.
- Vary the lengths of ribbons and shapes, attaching 3 shapes on each of the 6 strands. Finish off each strand with a single hole shape on the bottom of each strand.
- Cut 3 × 8” lengths of ribbon and attach ribbon clamps to each end. Place one ribbon piece through every second jump ring along the metal hoop.
- Place a jump ring through each end of the 3 ribbon clamps and attach these to the small hanging ring.
Congratulations on finishing your Woodland Wonderland decoration!
Using the same technique, you can create Christmas decorations!
Punch a hole in the top and then simply thread some thin silver cord through the hole and tie a knot. The perfect Christmas school holiday project!